Founder of ProjectsInMetal.com
and Computer Science Faculty at Highline.edu
where he teaches Computer Programming, Web Development, and Social Media Marketing.
The Para Marketing Company – Columbia SC
Web Developer, Project Manager (March – April 2014)
- Responsive Web Design with or without a framework (Bootstrap or Foundation)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) analysis and implementation
- Content Management Systems (CMSs) including WordPress, Joomla, Monstra, and Morfy
- MVC Framework (Laravel)
Highline Community College – Des Moines WA (January 2012 – Present)
Computer Science Faculty
- Updated existing course curriculum to current web development standards and created e-learning tools including online training modules and exams, allowing the department to offer many new online classes that were previously only offered face to face.
- Created new curriculum for WordPress and Social Media Marketing classes.
- Authored over 150 lecture videos using Camtasia and ScreenFlow (hosted on YouTube)
- Often utilize a Wacom tablet to improve video lectures, giving them a Khan Academy feel.
- Intro to Computer Science
- Computer Hardware and Software with a focus on Microsoft Office.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Basic Computer Programming (using Scratch).
- Intro to Web Development (HTLM5/CSS3 Basics)
- Basic Web Development on a live server using Komodo Edit or Sublime Text & WinSCP or Cyberduck.
- HTML5/CSS3 (Advanced)
- Key Skills: Wireframing (Mockingbird), Responsive Web Design using Media Queries, SEO, Bootstrap, LESS/SASS.
- Key Skills: OOP, AJAX, and JQuery.
- PHP 1 & 2 (Web/Database Programming)
- Key Skills: Cookies, Sessions, & Authentication, Web Security, Regular Expressions, OOP, PDO, MySQL, Subversion with Redmine, MVC (CakePHP).
- Web Development Capstone
- As the instructor, I manage 3 to 5 teams of 4 students per team. Each team works with a real-world business owner to develop and manage a website.
- My roles include Project Manager and Client Liaison for each team.
- Key Skills: Usability & Accessibility, PEAR standards, Project Management via Scrum & Leankit or Kanbanery, SEO, SEM, & PPC, Cross Browser Testing (BrowserLab or Shadow), Deployment, cPanel.
- Key Skills: Slicing Photoshop Files (PSDs), Making a Responsive WP theme from Scratch, Child Themes, Advanced WordPress Security.
- Social Media Marketing
- Key Skills: SEO, Social Media Marketing (Facebook, Pinterest), Podcasts, Webinars, Articles, White Papers, Microblogging (Twitter), Mobile Computing and Location Marketing, Forums & Discussion Boards, Social Media Monitoring.
- Students develop a detailed Social Media Marketing Plan for a real business.
- Tech Academy
- Selected by the Computer Science department to co-teach a weeklong summer camp for high school students interested in computer science.
- Coordinated with two other instructors to develop course curriculum, including hands-on learning modules in 3D printing, PHP programming, HTML/CSS, and computer repair and assembly.
- Web Marketing Workshop
- Developed the entire curriculum for a quarterly 2-day workshop focused on teaching local business owners how to grow their business by creating an online presence and marketing their business through social media.
- It has become one of the most popular workshops at Highline with up to 50 people attending at a time (a normal workshop averages 5-10 attendees).